Texas Tech 14, Iowa State 10
• Today marked the 21st all-time meeting between Texas Tech and Iowa State and was the 13th-straight season the two have met.
• Texas Tech wore white helmets, white jerseys and black pants against Iowa State.
• Today’s game captains were Weston Wright, Trey Wolff, Jesiah Pierre and Austin McNamara.
• Iowa State won the coin toss and elected to defer to the second half. Tech started with the ball. Tech has lost the coin toss in 7-of-11 games.
• Today’s game was televised by FS1. It was Tech’s fourth appearance on the network and third appearance in a Big 12 game.
TEXAS TECH’S WIN…
• Gives Texas Tech a 6-5 overall record in 2022.
• Gives Texas Tech a 4-1 record against unranked opponents in 2022.
• Gives Texas Tech a 4-4 record in Big 12 games in 2022.
• Gives Texas Tech a 13-8 all-time record against Iowa State.
• Gives Texas Tech an 11-8 all-time record against Iowa State in Big 12 competition.
• Gives Texas Tech a 1-4 record in road games in 2022.
• Gives Texas Tech its first win at Jack Trice Stadium since Nov. 22, 2014, a 34-31 win over the Cyclones.
TEXAS TECH’S TEAM NOTES
• Weather at kickoff tonight was 22 degrees with a wind chill of 14 degrees. It marked the coldest game at kickoff for the Red Raiders since their 1992 home game against Houston. Temperatures for that game were at 32 degrees at kickoff and the wind chill was 5 degrees due to high winds and snow that day.
• Texas Tech’s 14 points tonight marked its fewest in a win since the Red Raiders defeated Texas A&M, 12-0, on Nov. 3, 2001, in Lubbock. It marked the fewest points to win a game on the road since also defeating the Aggies, 13-10, on Oct. 26, 1996, in College Station.
• Last time Texas Tech allowed 10 points or fewer was the 2021 Liberty Bowl vs. Mississippi State (7).
• It was the fewest points allowed in a Big 12 game since topping No. 24 TCU, 20-10, in the 2013 conference opener.
• Tech’s one penalty in tonight’s game matched the school record that had been previously set five times in program history. The Red Raiders previously had only one penalty in 1988 versus Arkansas, 1991 versus Rice, 1992 versus Texas A&M, 2016 at TCU and 2021 at Kansas.
• Texas Tech was a perfect 1-for-1 on fourth downs tonight, which ultimately led to the game-winning touchdown to Baylor Cupp in the fourth quarter. The Red Raiders are now plus-52 as a result of fourth down decisions this season and 27-for-45 on fourth downs in general this season, which leads the FBS.
• Texas Tech’s win clinches its 40th bowl appearance in program history. It ranks inside the Top 25 for number of appearances in all of football.
• Texas Tech’s win was the third this season when losing the turnover battle but first during Big 12 play.
NOTING THE RED RAIDERS | OFFENSE
• Tyler Shough led a 14-play, 96-yard drive to start scoring drive. It was the fourth 90-yard or better drive of the season. Three of the four were led by Shough behind center. The 96-yard drive by Texas Tech was the longest drive allowed by the Iowa State defense since the 2020 Fiesta Bowl when Oregon traveled 98 yards versus the Cyclones.
• Shough moved to 6-1 as a starter for the Red Raiders.
• Donovan Smith registered his sixth rushing touchdown of the season. It is the most rushing touchdowns in a season by a Texas Tech quarterback since Patrick Mahomes recorded 12 rushing scores his senior season in 2016.
• With 246 yards offense, it marks the fewest total yards in a win since records dating to 2000. The only other two wins with less than 300 yards offense were 255 yards vs. New Mexico (2000) and 259 yards and at Nebraska (2009).
NOTING THE RED RAIDERS | DEFENSE
• Despite Iowa State having an average starting field position of its own 38-yard line. Tech held the Cyclones to 10 points that included turnovers on downs twice inside the Red Raiders 5-yard line. ISU was 1-for-3 on fourth downs.
• Jesiah Pierre kept his multi-TFL game streak going, stopping ISU for a loss of two yards on fourth-and-1 at the TTU2 to build his total to 1.5.
• Tech limited Iowa State to converting 1-of-5 red zone opportunities. Over the last three games, opponents are 7-of-17 in trips to the red zone.
• Xavier Hutchinson streak of four games of double-digit receptions was snapped by the Red Raiders’ defense.
NOTING THE RED RAIDERS | SPECIAL TEAMS
• Myles Cole was credited a block on Iowa State’s 34-yard field goal attempt as time expired in the first half. It marks back-to-back games the Red Raiders blocked a field goal as Tony Bradford Jr. was credited with a block versus Kansas.
• Texas Tech owns four blocked kicks in 2022. It is the most in a season since the Red Raiders had four in 2020. This season (Tyler Owens blocked punt vs. Murray State; Nehemiah Martinez blocked punt vs. Oklahoma State; Tony Bradford Jr. blocked field goal vs. Kansas; Myles Cole blocked field goal vs. Iowa State.
• Austin McNamara’s seven punts tied for the second-most in a single game in his career. He booted it seven times in 2019 (at Arizona) & 2020 (at TCU). His career-high is nine set versus Oklahoma State last season.
Release provided by Matt Dowdy Texas Tech Athletics