RED RAIDER FOOTBALL Texas Tech
Sept. 9, 2023 | 6:00 p.m. CT | Jones AT&T Stadium | Lubbock, Texas | FOX
QB, Tyler Shough (Sr.)
• Was responsible for four total touchdowns (1 rush/3 pass) – it
matches a career-high set twice before. Four vs. FIU on Sept.
18, 2021 and four while at Oregon vs. Washington State on Nov.
• Posted 383 total yards on 282 passing and 101 rushing.
• On 3rd and 4 of Texas Tech’s opening drive, scampering for a
career-long 58 yards, besting a previous career-best 36-yarder
vs. Ole Miss in last year’s Texas Bowl.
• Recorded his first back-to-back game throwing multiple
touchdown passes as a Red Raider. He owned a three-gamestraight stretch once before while at Oregon in 2020.
• Shough had 15 carries for 92 yards in the first half; he finished
with his second career 100-yard rushing game as he had 101
yards on 23 carries.
• Had a career-high three interceptions – the third was a hail
mary as time expired in the fouth quarter.
RB, Tahj Brooks (Sr.)
• Had a long rush of 34 yards in the third quarter; it was his
seventh career rush for 30 yards or better.
WR, Myles Price (Sr.)
• Scored seventh career touchdown, catching an 18-yard pass
from Shough in the first quarter. It was his second-straight
game catching a first quarter TD pass from Shough. He matches
his single-season career-high for TDs with his second TD catch,
matching two he also caught in 2021 and 2022.
RB, Jerand Bradley (So.)
• Caught a touchdown pass in his four consecutive game dating
back to last season. The last player to do so was Erik Ezukanma
in the last three games of 2019 season and first two games of
the 2020 season.
TE, Mason Tharp (So.)
• Caught first TD pass of season and fourth of his career coming
in the second quarter – a 7-yard catch. His last TD catch came
vs. Kansas on Nov. 12, 2022, a 1-yard pass from Shough.
• Recorded a career-high four receptions after logging three as a
high in five different contests.
DL, Jaylon Hutchings (Sr.)
• Made his 48th consecutive start, which ranks second among all
active FBS players for most consecutive starts.
DB, Dadrion Taylor-Demerson (Sr.)
• Career-high 12 tackles. It was his first career double-digit
LB, Ben Roberts (RFr.)
• In his first career start, set a career-high for single game
tackles with 12.
• Led the team with 2.0 TFLs and posted the Red Raiders’ only
• Gives Texas Tech a 0-3 all-time record against Oregon.
• Gives Texas Tech a 68-28-3 all-time record in home openers.
> Snaps the Red Raiders streak of consecutive wins in home openers at 23.
> The Red Raiders last loss in a home opener came in 1999.
• Drops Texas Tech’s all-time record against current members of the Pac-12 to 39-20-2.
• Drops Joey McGuire’s record as head coach to 6-2 in games played at Jones AT&T Stadium.
• Drops Texas Tech to 0-2 for the first time since 1990.
• Texas Tech had seven explosive plays (20-yard gains or more). The Red Raiders logged a season-high seven twice in 2022 versus
• Tech owned zero explosive run plays of 40 or better in 2022. Shough logged a 58-yard run on Saturday.
• Tech was 8-for-13 (61.5%) on third downs.
• Tech was 1-for-2 on fourth downs. The failed fourth down attempt led a field goal for Oreon fourth quarter.
• Tech allowed a 17-play scoring drive that Oregon converted four third downs on. The 17-play drive was the most plays an
opponent ran in scoring drive since Baylor ran 19 play touchdown scoring drive on Nov. 24, 2018.
• Texas Tech lost to a ranked opponent at home for the first time since Nov. 20, 2021 versus No. 9 Oklahoma State.
• Texas Tech had four turnovers – its most turnovers since five versus Baylor on Oct. 29, 2022 – its last home loss.
• Texas Tech blocked a punt for the first time since Oct. 27, 2018 versus Iowa State (Thomas Leggett). Robert Wooten blocked the
punt on Saturday.
• The Red Raiders produced more than 400 yards total offense for the second game in a row. Tech drops to 3-3 under McGuire when
does so and 0-2 in 2023
• Today’s weather at kickoff: 93 degrees, 11 mph winds from the SE and sunny skies.
• Texas Tech won the coin toss and chose to receive in the second half. Oregon started the first half with the ball.
• Today’s game marked the first meeting with Oregon since 1992 and the Ducks’ first trip to Lubbock since 1991.
> It is the first game of a home-and-home series. Texas Tech will play at Oregon on Sept. 7, 2024.
• Texas Tech wore white helmets (red face masks), red jerseys and red pants against Oregon.
• Today’s game captains were Jaylon Hutchings, Myles Price, Tyler Shough and Dadrion Taylor-Demerson.
• Today’s attendance: 56,200 (sellout).